The biggest feature coming in 1.0 is of course the ladder, as covered in the previous two blog posts. But there are more goodies coming as well!
This was mentioned in the previous blog post, but it deserves its own section. This is a third boot timer, next to the vote-to-boot time and the direct-boot time, that game creators can specify. When the auto boot time is reached, WarLight will automatically boot any players that have not taken their turn, without requiring anyone to press the boot button.
This is really useful for tournaments, where someone holding up a game can cause the whole tournament to become held up. Automatic booting also applies to the Force Join system that’s already in place for tournaments – a player does not join their tournament or ladder game before the auto boot time is reached, they will be automatically joined to the game (with a random color, if their color was not available.)
The Dashboard is a new page that will be accessible by clicking the “Home” tab or the WarLight logo in the top-left. This page gives an overview of the latest things that have been happening around WarLight, such as:
- The newest maps that have been created.
- Recent forum posts across all forums.
- Recent posts to this blog.
- Recent ladder games.
This makes it easy to check on recent events without visiting each individual section.
The Statistics Window
The existing graphs window will be absorbed into the new statistics window, which will show a variety of interesting statistics about the game. The statistics window will only be available for WarLight members. In addition to the graphs that currently exist, it adds two new sections: relations between players, and player statistics.
Relations between Players
The “relations” tab shows how much each player has fought with other players. It’s great for determining who has been fighting who.
It can be switched between the following metrics:
- The number of A’s armies killed in fights between player A and B.
- The number of A’s armies killed in A’s attacks against B.
- The number of B’s armies killed in A’s attacks against B.
- The number of armies that A defended with against B’s attacks.
- The number of armies that A attacked with against B.
In the real game, you can hover your mouse over a cell to show a description of what that cell represents. This makes it easy to understand what the numbers mean.
The player stats tab shows a variety of statistics about each player.
It shows the following metrics:
- Total number of orders issued.
- Total number of attacks issued.
- Total number of deployments issued.
- Total number of cards played.
- Total number of cards received.
- Total number of cards discarded.
- Total number of transfers.
- Total number of successful attacks. (territory captures)
- Total number of failed attacks.
- Total number of armies attacked with.
- Total number of armies lost by attacking.
- Total number of armies killed by attacking. (defending armies killed)
- Total number of armies transfers.
- Total number of armies deployed.
- Total number of times attacked.
- Total number of armies that attacked this player.
- Total number of armies killed while defending. (attacking armies killed)
- Total number of armies lost while defending.
I want to hear about any more statistics you’d like to see. I plan to add more in subsequent releases – let the brainstorming begin!
- Sort Tournament Players: When inviting players to a tournament or forwarding a tournament invite, the players list can now be sorted.
- Performance Enhancements: Many areas of the site have been worked on for performance, and will load much more quickly. Particularly the My Games page has been sped up a lot, and the page that lets you invite players to a game will also load much more quickly.
- Force Join: The Force Join system has been de-coupled from nudge, and is now a first class citizen. This just means it’ll work more reliably. Players will be force-joinable in any tournament or ladder game once they’ve reached the direct boot timer without joining a game.
- Members-only open seat prerequisite: Ability to restrict the open seats in your games to WarLight members only.