I’m pleased to announce Warzone Idle! Now, you can conquer the world in your sleep! Warzone Idle is a new game using the Warzone engine. Check out this video to learn what it’s like:
Why make an idle game?
Warzone Idle complements Warzone Classic very well. As Warzone Classic is primarily a multi-player game, it means there’s always going to be some downtime while you wait for your opponents. This creates a perfect opportunity to swap to the idle game, re-invest your earnings, and swap back.
Further, I just love idle games. I play them often, and I’ve always wanted to make one. Warzone’s engine is perfectly suited for the task, so Warzone Idle was born!
How can I play it?
Soon, Warzone Idle will enter beta, and I will send out invites to players to help test the game before its official launch later this year. Warzone members will be the first to receive beta invitations, as a way of thanking them for supporting the game. So if you want to be among the first to play Warzone Idle, make sure you’re a member! Invites will be sent via Warzone mail. Stay tuned for more info!
Warzone has just been updated to version 4.21.0! This blog post describes what’s changed.
This update is available now on the website. The iOS and Android apps should be updated to this version within a week or two.
Community Levels AI
When making a community level, you now have the option to switch which algorithms will power the AIs in that level. This gives a lot of new options for community level authors to play with to create more fun and exciting levels!
The AI options are:
Prod 2.0 Random: This is the AI that was previously used on all levels. This is the default.
Prod 2.0: This is the same as the above AI, except that it doesn’t allow randomness to influence its actions at all. This is a great choice if you’re making a puzzle level, where you want predictable AI behavior. This wouldn’t be a great choice in a normal level since a smart player could learn to predict what the AI will do, since there’s no randomness.
Prod 1.0: This is the old version of the WarLight AI, originally written in 2009. Likely not a good choice for a level unless you specifically want a dumb AI, or are trying to re-create some of WarLight’s old levels like the insane challenge.
Wunderwaffe: An AI written by the player Norman for an AI competition. Tends to be more strategic with its armies and moves than the above options.
Cowzow: Another AI written for an AI competition.
To change the AI used in your level, press the new “Change AI Type” button under Change Players:
Community Events Improvements
The Community Events list is getting some improvements! This is a list maintained by ps that links to all events community members are running.
This list now gets its own page, and also allows each community event to enter a description and join requirements. This is all in an effort to make joining community events more streamlined.
If you run a community event on this list, please consider coming up with a short description of your event. Just one sentence is enough.
Also, if your event has requirements to join, such as players being a certain level, being in a clan, or specific signup windows, please detail these requirements.
– Website: Added “Fun Stats” page to /Membership and to the drop-out in the top right.
– All: Clicking “Rematch” on an open game will now start a rematch with the same players who played that game.
– All: Made level “Caesar’s Challenge” slightly easier.
– All: Due to recent abuse, 1-coin entry fee games are no longer allowed to be created. Creating a coin game from the Coins/CreateGame page must use at least two coins. It’s still OK to play 1-coin games through Quickmatch.
– All: Fixed an issue with quickmatch that would leave you 0 checked templates if your only checked templates were removed due to their votes. Thanks to Jody for reporting this.
– All: Fixed a bug with AI randomness when it was completely surrounded by neutral territories.
– UJS: Fixed several camera positioning issues that happened when your OS scale was set to a scale other than 100%. Thanks to Pardon for reporting this.
– UJS: Fixed a bug that made the Cowzow AI produce incorrect attacks.
– Unity: Updated Unity to 2018.4.22f1
– Unity: Fixed tooltips. Thanks to BuffaloTrace for reporting this.
– Unity: Fixed community tab refreshing every activate.
– iOS: Increased quality of loading images. Thanks to Muli for reporting this.
– iOS: Fixed a bug that could cause sides of the screen to be in the wrong position after locking + unlocking phone and rotating the device.
* Greatest victories: Show your best come-from-behind wins
* Your nemesis: Show the top 10 players that have defeated you most often
* Dominations: Show the top 10 players that you have defeated most often
* Birthday buddies: Show players you’ve played with who started their Warzone account on the same day as you
This page is only available to members, as a way of rewarding those who support the game. Thanks!
What fun statistics about your account would you like to see? Post your suggestions in the forum thread!
Warzone has just been updated to version 4.20.7! This is a small update which fixes a few bugs and makes some minor improvements. This blog post describes what’s changed.
This update is available now on the website. The iOS and Android apps should be updated to this version within a week or two.
– All: Quickmatch templates are now sorted by rating, so you most played templates will always bubble to the top.
– All: Increased maximum tournament rounds from 7 to 8, allowing for 256 player 1v1 tournaments.
– All: Chat raffles now have some randomness in their size.
– All: Fixed “MapLocked” error.
– All: Fixed “data already migrated” error.
– Unity: Fixed a bug with block list cache not refreshing. Thanks to JK_3 for reporting this.
– Unity: Fixed minor alignment issues.
– Unity: Updated Text Mesh Pro from 1.3.0 to 1.5.0p2
– UJS: Fixed display of dates on vacation icons. Thanks to Derfellios for reporting this.
– UJS: Fixed “not connected to socket” error.
– Android: Fixed a bug that could cause a push notification to open a game when you didn’t open the notification.
– Android: Fixed a bug that made the text not selected by default for replacing.
– iOS: Fixed “did not parse” error.
Warzone has just been updated to version 4.20.5! This is a small update which fixes a few bugs and makes some minor improvements. This blog post describes what’s changed.
This update is available now on the website. The iOS and Android apps will hopefully be updated in the coming weeks, since I’m dealing with a few bugs that prevent me from building the apps so the timeframe is very variable.
– Unity/UJS: Tweaked layout of Full Settings dialog so it looks better on small devices.
– Unity/UJS: Fixed “load orders card not found” error.
– Unity/UJS: Fixed the “Armies actually deployed each turn” graph from showing 0 on turn 1.
– Unity/UJS: Fixed the clock in NLC games so it uses a dot instead of a colon to separate seconds and partial seconds.
– Unity/UJS: Fixed a bug that made level skipping not work if not signed into an account.
– Unity: When returning to the Main Menu from a game, the My Games section now stays on the page you were browsing instead of always reverting back to page 1. Thanks to OgreZed for reporting this.
– All: It’s no longer possible to invite someone to a tournament who has you on their block list.
– All: Fixed a bug with the “Get all gold stars” achievement.
– All: Exiting history of a finished game no longer takes you back to watching the last turn.
– Website: Fixed a bug that caused an error if you typed a negative number into the entry fee of a coin game.
– UJS: Fixed a bug that rarely made chat messages sometimes append a few characters of gibberish at the end.
– Android/iOS: Push notifications that come in for the active game no longer cause a visible refresh. This fixes the issue of “Refreshing” appearing right after a turn advances, which can block the player tapping Watch.
Have you ever wondered what Warzone would be like if players took turns instead of all playing at the same time?
Take Turns Mod
There’s a new mod available, called the take turns mod! In this mod, instead of all players entering orders every turn, players will alternate turns. For example, in a 1v1, one player would get to enter attacks on evened-numbered turns and the other would get to enter attacks on odd-numbered turns.
When it’s not your turn, you’ll still be prompted to enter orders like normal but you should instead just commit your turn without any orders. If you do enter orders, they’ll be ignored by the mod.
If you’re a member, give it a try and let me know what you think! You can use this template as a starting point.
Mod Development Tutorial
I put together a video walking through how mods are developed. This is intended for people who know how to code already and are looking to see how to make a Warzone mod. Check it out and let me know what you think!
Warzone has just been updated to version 4.20.4! This is a small update that just fixes some bugs. This blog post describes what’s changed.
– Unity: Fixed a bug with the standalone client opening a modded game when set to the German locale. Thanks to dabo1 for reporting this.
– Unity: Improved detection of double-tap-to-attack.
– Unity/UJS: Creators of community levels that use custom scenarios can now alter the cards that the human player starts with like they can for AIs.
– All: Fixed a bug with Quickmatch that made the rating penalty of double-boots be stricter than it was supposed to. Thanks to Lepanto and Timiniator for reporting this.
– All: Fixed a bug that could, in rare cases, cause a single player win to be recorded multiple times. Thanks to Jose for reporting this.
I’m taking a trip around the western continental United States! I rarely get to to leave the house, so I’m taking this opportunity to meet up with as many Warzoners/WarLighters as I can. So if you’re in the area over the next couple months and want to meet up, send me a message!
Warzone has just been updated to version 4.20.3! This is a small update which fixes some bugs and has some small improvements. This blog post describes what’s changed.
This version is live on the website and the standalone client now. It will eventually go live for the iOS and Android apps as well, though this may take a while as I’m waiting on the Unity team to hear back about a couple bugs in Unity.
– All: Default reinforcement card value changed from 10 to 5, and default map changed from Earth to Final Earth.
– All: Fixed a bug that caused an error team IDs greater than 600 were passed in.
– All: Fixed a bug that caused an error if a mod used invalid player IDs in an event.
– All: Optimized games with many thousands of armies so they’ll run faster and avoid de-stablizing the server.
– All: Fixed a bug with uneven-team manual-distribution games using the cyclic move order that could cause the less even team to get a late pick instead of an early one. Thanks to Den-Sel for reporting this.
– All: Fixed a bug with attack animations that could leave the source territory in the wrong state. Thanks to shrubbery moves for reporting this.
– All: Fixed a bug that made some email providers block Warzone emails.
– All: Fixed a bug that could make the results of some levels not be persisted if there was no internet connection when the level was defeated.
– Website: Setting Unity WebGL mode to “Automatic” is now the same as using the Web-Assembly option, since it seems to give better performance in 2018.4.
– Website: Ladder pages now show text explaining what the arrows mean.
– Website: Fixed the duplicate “Tournament has started without you” message. Thanks to Rento for reporting this.
– UJS: Fixed statistics resizing from getting stuck when you drag out of the browser window. Thanks to Joi for reporting this.
– UJS: Fixed a bug that caused errors if you were viewing the map out of a lobby of an auto game and the game started without you. Thanks to shrubbery moves for reporting this.
– Unity/UJS: Increased height of quickmatch waiting page.
– Unity/UJS: Hid icons on past games page, since most games won’t have them anyway.
– Unity/UJS: Fixed a bug with loading templates that use mods as a non-member. Thanks to Dubbers530 for reporting this.
– Unity: Updated Unity to 2018.4.4f1
– Unity: Fixed a bug that sometimes made income labels sometimes not fully return to their normal color after flashing red.
Warzone has just been updated to version 4.20.2! This is a small update with some bug fixes and improvements. This post describes what’s changed.
This version is live now on the website. The Android and iOS apps will be updated over the coming weeks.
This update upgrades the version of Unity that’s used from 2017.4 to 2018.4. This is a big upgrade which only happens once per year. Due to this upgrade, I’m being extra careful in the release, and trying to ensure everything gets extra testing to avoid breaking anything. Due to the extra caution, the update will roll out slowly across iOS and Android.
In addition to upgrading Unity, I’ve also taken the opportunity to re-organize a lot of the internal code with the goal of increasing the performance and reducing the startup time. The iOS and Android apps now start up faster than ever, and the WebGL app can load in less than 1.9 seconds!
– Unity/UJS: Fixed color of team label when inviting players to a fixed team game.
– Unity/UJS: Fixed invite-by-code so it doesn’t appear in single player. Thanks to DanWL for reporting this.
– Unity: Un-bolded main font style.
– Unity: Fixed a bug that made the Standalone and WebGL apps show wrong prices in the store. Thanks to Baneos for reporting this.
– Website: When viewing a tournament with mods on the website, the names of the mods are now shown.
– All: Fixed a bug that caused errors if you made a tournament with mods and the “non members can use mods” box checked.