The world series of Warlight (WSOW) is something that Ineffable started, and I volunteered to continue. It is a series of double elimination tournaments where placement in each tournament gives you points. In addition there is a playoff round among the top finishers at the end of the season (at least for seasons 1 and 2). The player with the most points wins.
Season 2 is described here: https://www.warlight.net/Forum/65898-wsow-2
Season 1 was similar, but had different rules.
The season 1 results and season 2 standings are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rh2GN43b20I9lYKFgbXD8Xx63SpZlSEzowIii7jgJls/pub?outpu
The purpose of this thread is to establish the rules and structure of season 3 with the help and feedback of the Warlight community. In addition, you can reply to this thread if you are interested in playing (note: I plan to contact players from season 2 separately, but they can reply here as well). However, this is a very very VERY long league. Season 2, though delayed by Ineffable's inactivity, has taken well over a year so far, and probably won't finish until this summer. Season 3 should easily take a year. So if you want to join, please plan for the long term.
These are some aspects of the league I am certain about at this point:
* I want to do a series of 9 tournaments, with each tournament on a different template.
* Only points from the top 6 finishes will count (rewarding performance over activity). You can still join all tournaments, but invites will be prioritized based on number of tournaments completed: 0 completed get first invite, 1 completed get invited 3 or more days later, 2 completed get invited 6 or more days later, and so on. Once a tournament fills, that's it.
* The season 2 practice of limiting entry to A/B tournaments is abolished.
* Tournament size and point allocation will depend on how many people sign up. 100 initial signups is good for 64-player tournaments. If I get closer to 200 I will move to 128 player tournaments.
* Tournament order will be randomized
* There will be a 3 month gap between the starts of tournaments 3 and 4, as well as the starts of tournaments 6 and 7, to give time for tournaments to complete. Otherwise each new tournament will be created after the previous one starts.
Things I am not sure about:
* Should there be a playoff system? If so, how should it be designed? In prior seasons, most players in the playoff round had 0 chance of winning.
* I mostly like the point system, but there is a huge gap in points for adjacent placements. The points heavily reward a single good placement in a tournament over decent placement in several tournaments. Should this be kept, or should an alternative point system be used?
For reference these were the points awarded for double elimination 64 player tournaments in season 2:
* What should the templates be? I think at least these templates should be used for their popularity:
Classic Ladder - Medium Earth 0% WR
Ancient Greece 0% SR
Guiroma 0% SR
Battle Islands V 0% SR
I am also leaning towards including these:
East Asia & Oceania - 0% WR with classic ladder army settings - I'd like at least one other good WR template in the mix
Turkey Local Deployment 0% SR - I want to see LD represented, and this is a good template for it
French Brawl - This template has become popular recently among top players, and is different enough from other templates to warrant inclusion
Phobia 0% WR - This is a biased pick, as I finished 2nd place in the WSOW season 2 tournament, my best finish of season 2. Can also be considered with 0% SR luck
Europe - a rather large map for 1v1 play in my opinion, but I haven't played this template much. Can you guys enlighten me about whether this is a good or bad pick? Also used for season 2
Treasure Map - I personally really like this template
Ancient China - a very unique template, but I utterly hate how only 1/4 of the screen is used for this map
Snow Mountains Multiattack - recommended by MoD
Fast MME - Offensive kill ratio larger than defensive kill ratio
Thank you for your feedback and participation!
Edited 3/26/2016 21:31:01