|This is how you make a change to the 1v1 ladder: 9/28/2015 01:23:35
Wow, huge contrast to the forums' state today.
|This is how you make a change to the 1v1 ladder: 9/28/2015 03:41:49
Differences between then and now:
1. The game/community were still innocent back then. Now it is all about money.
2. Those players were the first WLers, so Fizzer cared about their ideas and actually played games with and chatted with them.
3. Fizzer is slightly out of touch. How long has it been since Fizzer played the ladders? Does he understand their dynamics or whether players would enjoy them? Real companies do polling on their products...
Similarities between then and now:
He promotes what he wants (1v1 ME then, coins and "no luck" settings now). Back then a large group of players wanted a 3v3 Europe ladder. But WL was ME-centric and 1v1-centric. Fizzer made (what seemed to us) lame excuse after lame excuse as to why 3v3 Europe wouldn't be a good idea. It was all about preserving his cherished ME 1v1 template as what defined WL. Fizzel Castro did what Fizzel wanted to do, based on his "vision" for WL at the time. Major changes only happen if Fizzel's "vision" for WL changes. And his "vision" leads him to make nonsensical, illogical, biased, subjective comments with those who want anything unrelated to his "vision" for WL. So it isn't really worth talking with him if what you want is not what he wants. You won't get it until he wants it, which is usually never.
Fizzer's Old "Vision":
- 1v1 ME
- Community-based, so long as the community is full of 1v1 ME-aholics.
Fizzel's New "Vision":
- ads, level system, app: the beginnings of monetization
- coins: advanced monetization
- push "no luck" down our throats the same way he exclusively promoted 1v1 ME
- WarLight --> WarZone
- play competitive ladders that we enjoy and choose by voting
- have FFA and "diplo" game mechanics that make those games a part of the WL framework
Fizzel has come a long way. He went from (1) wanna-be hip, anti-money "indie" primer inter pares (from inception of WL to introduction of coins) to (2) Communist dictator running a command economy (the early coin period) to (3) Communist dictator transitioning to standard economic principles (beginning with the latest update).
Maybe in another few years he'll have found a happy medium where he can promote the game in a way that brings in more people (team players, FFA players, diplo players are largely ignored) to the coin framework without alienating too many. Or maybe his long-winded broadcasts will tire him out and Mercer will become the new Raul.
Edited 9/28/2015 03:51:29