I've been playing this game for 5 (very intensive...) months now, and I really, really love it. I've been playing all kinds of games, from very strategic templates to lotteries, but my favorite after all are the FFA games. I like the chaos, fighting many players at once and the amount of experience you get from it :-).
Now is there a big problem with FFA games, especially with those which have a big player count. There is a lot of luck involved in these games, due to surrenders, boots, alliances, NAP's, etc... The main reason I stopped playing FFA was because in the end most players who made a lot of alliances won, mostly cos they decided when they would attack their allies giving them 1 free
turn, while they had at least 4 of them to prepare for war.
I've been thinking about this for a while now, but when I joined a bunch of ladders I came to the conclusion there has to be a FFA competition / league where every player respects the rules, giving all players equal chances to win. These rules, which will apply for all games that will be holded in the competition / league, must knock out as much luck factors as possible to make sure the games gives a equal chance to everyone. Down below I've created some rules and required settings to accomplish this.In concern with alliances, teaming and NAP's:
1. Private messaging will always be off. This option is the biggest threat towards teaming, alliances and NAP's. Of course there are many other ways to private message someone, but with this option switched off the easiest way is gone.
2. All players who wants to join this competition / league has to agree to not make alliances, NAP's and teams. after all, all the games will still be FFA games where only 1 player can win. When every player is only playing for themselves without other players giving them advantages FFA games can be fairIn concern with surrenders and boots:
3. All players who wants to join this competition / league must try by all means to do their turn before the boot timer runs out. Auto boot will be off (not sure about it tho), but other players are allowed to boot someone 1 day after the boot timer ran out unless the player gave a specific reason. This reason must be respected by all players.
4. Vacations will be honored, but players must try to avoid using vacations because the game can be on stand by for a very long time. (another setting idk yet if I will keep it)
5. All players who wants to join this competition / league must be willing to play a game until either he gets eliminated or when the all the remaining players agree on a winner.
This will prevend AI's and neutrals containing 0 / 1 armies which will only give an advantage to some players and not allIn concern with other luck factors:
6. All templates will use the manual distribution setting, with the exception when every start is equal (example: a template using the 12 bases map can use the automatic distribution when it gives every player 1 entire base)
7. All templates will not use a luck modifier, unless the template isn't as fun to play without a luck modifier
8. All templates will not use the random move order setting.
9. All players who wants to join this competition / league must be willing to invest time in a game. In concern with violation of the rules:
10. Not following any of the rules above can turn into a kick from the competition. This does apply to every rule above, so even surrendering to often can result into a kick. Players are allowed to let me know if there are players not following these rules. Of course this also applies to abusing the rules.
I'm sure this list will be modified in the following days, so you might want to keep track of any changes made to them. i'll reply on this post if I made modifications. If you think I forgot a setting / rule or made a mistake writing them reply on this thread or send me a mail.
Now back to the competition / league. The templates will be containing from 3 up to 40 players. For the first few weeks I'll organise some single games until we have enough players to create a ranking system and good competition. When the competition / league starts I want to host 1 game for everyone every 2 weeks. This will make sure you won't have endless games to play, I can tell how stressful it is... The boot timer will at least have 3 days, this might be adjusted depending on feedback and depending on template. Some templates just requires some more time, I do want to give that time.
When you don't play a game you will automatically get last place, together with all the other players who declined or didn't join in time. I'm still thinking of a good ranking system, suggestions are welcome.
I want to cycle through many templates, all with various settings. I really like variety and it will ensure you play some templates you like. Of course you'll also have to play on template you don't like, but this is something you have to do. Everyone can submit templates, only requirement is they have to be from 3 up to 40 players. So far you actually can't submit any templates unless you mail them to me, but I might create a discord server for news and stuff like this ;-).To join this competition / league you have to fill in this form
, so I can quickly check things and stuff. So far I'm not planning on automating all of this, but I kinda hope I have to xD.https://forms.gle/JDrUG65w3ZQMaoPA7
Some last things:
I don't know what should be a good name for the competition, pls help me out. I'm terrible with names xD
I call the rules and settings above the 'Just_A_Dutchman_ fair FFA rules
', if this competition gets viral and all that I believe I can claim credits for them :)
pls note rule number 5, this is a big factor in FFA games. Of course you get more points the longer you survive, but surrendering still has a big impact on the game. I've started playing with the #noSurrender mindset 3 months ago, and it's actually kinda fun to blockade your last stack of armies, leaving a wasteland behind that almost no one will break through. But seriously, when every player fights till the end the game will be so much even.
and as very last, a short summary for everyone who doesn't want to read all above xD:
I'm creating a competition / league with FFA templates, you have to read the settings and rules stated above. The games will be from 3 to 40 players, with all kinds of templates and settings. To join fill in the form above, but do read the form pls
thank y'all for reading this, and consider joining. The more players, the more fun we all can have!