Last time I failed organising that event, however this time I do not intend to make the same mistakes. Rules are as follows, copied from the first thread:
1) First I need 32 (64) players that'll want to participate, of course the idea is to get top 32 (64) players.
2) They'll be divided into 3 tiers, 1-8, 9-16, 17-32 (or 1-16, 17-32, 33-64 respectively).
3) I'll make 8 (16) groups (A-H) randomly drawing players into them with the rule being there must be only 1 tier 1 and tier 2 player in each group. The rest will be determined randomly.
4) Every group will start an internal 1vs1 RR and 3 simultaneous 2vs2 games (they'll play in each combination with themselves), making it 4 games at a time total.
5) Each win will be worth 1 point, in case of a need of a tie-breaker the 1vs1 result will serve as one.
6) Top 2 advance, making it 16 people total.
7) We make the exact same thing as in the 1st round except we have 4 groups now with the rule being 2 1st place players and 2 2nd place players in each group.
8)Top 2 of each group advance making it 8 people remaining.
9)8 people make 2 groups again and repeat the same thing, top 2 advance making it to semifinals.
10) Play-offs will be a best of 5 between 2 players, playing a 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3,2vs2 and 1vs1 game in that order (multiaccounts needed for that phase).
11) The winner of the playoff phase will be the winner of Warlight Champions League, there will also be a 3rd place match in the same best of 5 format.
So in short:
8 groups of 4 ---> top 2 advance ---> random draw
4 groups of 4 ---> top 2 advance ---> random draw
2 groups of 4 ---> top 2 advance ---> seeded semifinals (1st place of group A vs 2nd place of group B)
Depending on the response it might be 32 or 64 players (with 64 there's just one more group stage). Now, there will be some minor changes. First, I recognise last time I took too much responsibility by myself and failed by not testing an experimental template enough. This time there will be an official pool of templates which will be decided partially by discussion, partially by voting and every round a random template will be selected by rng. Templates cannot be the same in different rounds. I'll announce my initial picks for templates soon and in this thread you are welcome to suggest 1v1, 2v2 and 3v3 templates. Since there has been some problems with ladders lately and there is a plethora of new ideas for community based events, I think now is the time to make Champions League work, I sincerely believe that'll be the most efficient format, not falling that far behind in competetiveness from round robin format. This evening I'll make a chat game to scout how many top players would like to participate, in the meantime please go ahead and tell me who is interested. If you are not interested now because of vacation please also mention this, if it is the case for many players, I will consider moving the start to the end of August. Other than that feel free to comment and good luck :)