The new Ladder rewards are mostly disappointing!TLDR: I am happy that the rewards were added, but they are really skewed in favor of the very few top elite players, and basically stay unobtainable for the majority of the community.
Let's review the rewards. I will often compare them with the Clan Wars, as an another example of official competition with rewards.
1v1, 2v2, 3v3 Ladders
The good parts:
- Getting rewards weekly is good
- If you are in the top-50, you will get way lots of coins
- The league rewards are somewhat fair: they are good, but they are one time only and still need a fair amount of effort (to get 1 rare and 1 IM power you need net +6 wins without the ability to reset).
But...Effectively, the decent rewards start only from TOP-50 or higher.
Top-51 or lower get 0 coins and buffs like:
- Reduced mortar load cost by 40% for one week
- Army camps boosted by 30% in challenge levels for one week
- Attacks against you in Idle battles reduced by 10% for one week
- Increased mortar hit rate by 40% for one week
Ask any idle player, are those buffs any good, and you will get a negative answer.So to get any good reward, you need to be in Top-50. 50 players is just 1.25x of a good CW roster! Imagine if only two top CW clans were getting any decent rewards?
That issue is even worse for 2v2 and 3v3 ladders, because the ranks there individual! So it means that only top-17 3v3 teams get worthy rewards.
No league rewards, only seasonals.
While the Top-51-100 rewards are not a full disaster (Get 1 common artifact (8 hour of dig time) and 1 TW power (literally 1 hour skip) for getting Top-100.), all the good stuff starts from Top-50 again.
Totals and comparison
So if you get to Top-50 every week and season in multiple ladder, you may get quite cool rewards. But you need to get Top-50, which is just a fraction of the competing player community (~12.5% as of now in a single ladder).Compare that to Clan Wars
- You get coins with being in Top-9 clan. And in the last season, there were ~300 players in the coin zone out of 690 competing players (43% of total)
- You get decent idle rewards just for territories.
-- All the 1,2,4 territories rewards are obtainable by even small clans (in total 440+ players got those rewards in the Season 30, which makes 64% of totals
-- If we count just 1-2 territories, that would be 630+ out of 690 (90% of totals
While some people accuse CW of being skewed, the new Ladders are being skewed even more.
I hope that the reward system will get reworked, so that more middle skilled players would be able to get at least anything useful from it. For now, the Ladders are probably not for me.
Edited 5/14/2023 21:54:31