I just finished looking over the real-time ladder templates, and am a bit surprised.
- 6 of 10 templates are based on one template model, 1v1 Ladder, with the same or similar starts (3x4), card settings, and wasteland settings.
- 8 different maps. 5 of 10 templates are on the Earth series of maps. Diversity?
- Luck: 4 of 10 are the same as the 1v1 ladder. 4 of 10 are straight round 0%. 2 of 10 are straight round 16%. This is good. I would like to see a proportion of 1/4 straight round 0%, 1/4 straight round 16%, 1/4 weighted 16% , 1/4 weighted 0%, and a couple unique attack/defense luck templates.
- Cycling orders: 7 of 10 templates have cycling orders. Did I miss something? Since when are cycling orders so wonderful?
- Light fog: 3 of 10. This is acceptable. But, in the future, please be more creative with templates. Spy, reconnaissance, and surveillance cards do a better job of dealing with the fog of war than light fog. For example, give out one spy card to start the game and no card pieces thereafter; both players see the starts, like with light fog, but can only guess what happens behind the fog thereafter. Or, give two recon cards to start the game, no card pieces thereafter, and let the opponent see you play your cards; you can strategically scan the board to find the enemy's locations (and the enemy sees you doing it!). Or, give out pieces of recon and/or surveillance cards throughout the game (like the Season V template does).
- Local Deployment: 2 of 10. Turkey LD is fine, but Turkey sans LD is better. MME LD is good, but MME LD sans light fog is better.
- Less light fog, more spy/recon/surveillance. But keep the ratio of games with light fog/spy/recon/surveillance to a maximum of 20-30%. Currently, 40% of the games have altered fog. It is a bit much.
- Less Earth series maps, more variation. 50% of the current templates are on Earth series maps. A max of 25% would be better.
- Local Deployment: 20% is a good ratio. What other maps would make for good LD games? It seems a map of 60-120 territories is best. Imperium Romanum (no 1:1 bonuses)? Ancient Greece II (change bonus values)? France? Vietnam? Phobia? Snow Mountains?
- 1v1 NC: Currently 20% of the templates have no cards. 20-30% seems about right, based on what others prefer. I would prefer a minimum of 50%.
- Reinforcement Cards: Currently 80% of the templates have reinforcement cards. Why must a player be forced to attack just to keep up in the card race? War is about offense and defense. These 8 templates pressure players to attack. This limits one's strategic options. How can a template be truly "strategic" if at the moment you click "Join" your defensive options and attack options have been limited by the settings? 80% is far too high. Let's not limit the strategic options with settings. Give players a fixed and limited number of armies and see who can use them better. Don't introduce performance enhancing armies (PEA)!
- 10 templates is a bit sparse. More variety would be nice. Don't let people get comfortable with all the templates. In an ideal world, a rotating template 1v1 ladder represents (a) what people enjoy, (b) a showcase of what WL settings have to offer, and (c) the best maps for 1v1 games. Basing future templates on WL GAMING LIVE tournament templates would be a good start.
- Add these 25 maps and the real-time ladder would truly represent the variety of 1v1 play :
Huruey's Castle http://warlight.net/Map?ID=5055
Republic of Macedonia http://warlight.net/Map?ID=5420
Earth (standardized bonuses) http://warlight.net/Map?ID=7
Poland Big http://warlight.net/Map?ID=498
Austro-Hungarian Monarchy http://warlight.net/Map?ID=2121
Treasure Map http://warlight.net/Map?ID=5313
Renaissance Italy http://warlight.net/Map?ID=12815
Korean Peninsula http://warlight.net/Map?ID=4225
East Asia & Oceania (with normal neutrals) http://warlight.net/Map?ID=1627
Greater Middle East III http://warlight.net/Map?ID=12769
Turkey (without LD) http://warlight.net/Map?ID=5402
Snow Mountains http://warlight.net/Map?ID=7573
Gelvien Islands http://warlight.net/Map?ID=7055
Volcano Island http://warlight.net/Map?ID=4943
Ancient Greece II (LD) http://warlight.net/Map?ID=9623
TEG World Map http://warlight.net/Map?ID=7534
Ancient China I http://warlight.net/Map?ID=3670
Edited 6/7/2014 08:45:56