I really like what you've done to change this. Though there are quite a few things that I think would make it a great map (ie, more playable, more demographically/culturally accurate), instead of just an artistic yet historically/geographically/culturally inaccurate map:
- I dislike your Far East bonus: (1) China as 1 separate bonus (including Taiwan -- to end the Chinese Civil War!); (2) Japan-Koreas as 1 bonus of 4 territories
- Australia as 1 bonus. Oceania as another; (3) [redraw China using China Proper as 1 territory please](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_proper
) -- it'd look better than your random lines and would be more historically/culturally/geographically accurate
- I very much dislike 'The East' bonus: (1) Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia should be a separate bonus (river systems, tonal languages, history, religion, cultural similarities all make them distinct); (2) Pakistan should be in a bonus with Afghanistan and Iran, not India; (3) India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Burma should be a separate bonus called 'The Subcontinent'
- Middle East/Muslim world: try to do a better job of dividing these countries up! How I'd divide these countries into bonuses: (1) Oil States (worth 1: United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait: connect the latter two); (2) Arabian Peninsula (worth 1: Yemen, Oman, Saudi Arabia); (3) [The Levant](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levant
) (worth 2: Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel); (4) Middle East (worth 2: Turkey, Iraq, Iran); (5) Afpak (worth 1: Afghanistan, Pakistan)
- Your Caucuses: take out Turkey & make it worth 1
- Russia: divide it up into (1) European Russia; (2) Asiatic Russia; (3) Russian Islands; and (4) Russia (a bonus for unifying Russia)
- Your 'North Europe' is Central Europe in real life
- West Europe could be divided into three smaller bonuses, 2 based on language (Romance West Europe, Germanic West Europe), 1 based on geography (Islands: Iceland, Irelands, Britain).
- Britain: Scotland, England, Wales?
- South America is too big & simplistic: (1) Andean states are distinct in many ways; (2) Brazil as its own bonus (worth 1-2); (3) Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Falklands as 1 bonus; (4) French Guiana, Suriname, Guyana as a bonus (worth 1); (5) Columbia and Venezuala as a bonus (worth 1)?
-Africa is a mess: (1) in real life, North Africa tends to mean "Africa along the Mediterranean and north of Sub-Sahara Africa'(you mix the Mediterranean and Sub-Saharan worlds!); (2) the rest of Africa is just a geographic, demographic, religious, linguistic mess (more so than in real life!): if I were you, I'd study how most people tend to divide Africa (based on languages, religions, regions, topography, etc.) and find something more suitable and playable; currently, how you divided Africa is not playable or realistic (making it entirely arbitrary)
- Azores: (1) no need to make it a part of any bonus (like Japan on Fizzer's ladder map); (2) connect it to Cuba! (the Spanish Empire was connected in this way)
- Puerto Rico as part of Caribbean bonus: no need to make it part of the US (you didn't add other American territories, so why add this one? Keeping the US limited to the states and not adding the territories would make your map more playable)
- US: (1) please redraw the borders in the continental US (Europe looks nice, Africa looks nice, US looks ugly); (2) make Texas its own territory (it is distinct from 'The South' in certain ways; this would also help make your other borders look nicer); (3) I'd limit the US bonus to 'Continental US'; and (4) have Alaska & Hawaii be a separate bonus worth 1
- Hawaii = 1 territory (and connecting to Marshall Islands: Hawaii is a historical naval base, we Americans took it bc we wanted to expand into Asia, and Guam is another important US naval base -- talks of redeploying troops from Japan to Guam are off and on, while Guam's naval base recently was expanded).