I started working on the map last year - but I left Warlight for almost the whole 2015. Now I'm back and I want to finish my map and make it finally public.
I have played a test game last year and received a lot of comments. This year I tried to fix some issues of the map.
1. The map composition is too complicated for a strategy game, it can be played only in diplo games.
- Well, I did not invent the geography of Vvardenfell island. Still I added some more connections so that there are no more dead ends in the mountainous areas. But it is true, I am almost sure that the map is not suited for strategy games (of course I would be happy to be wrong). It is mainly made for diplo games.
2. The bonuses are too confusing.
- I simplified the bonus system a bit. Now the counsil system is the same for all three houses: each house has a "council house" territory in its capital which is connected to the councillor "seats" territories. Each councillor seat territory is a part of a bonus which also contains a territory that historically belongs to the councillor.
(Previously the three houses had three different bonus systems.)
3. The bonuses are not ballanced.
- I made the overpowered bonuses weaker. Anyway scenario makers will be able to change the bonuses themselves.
4. The ships are ugly.
- I know. They really are. But I can't find good ship shapes in the internet, and it is too hard to make them by hand (these ones were). So I will probably change the ships later if at all.
5. The connections are confusing.
- I tried to make them simpler this time. Previously there were several "tree-like" connections. I changed the pattern to a more simple one.
6. The Ghostfence provinces are connected by a white line but they are not connected.
- the Ghostfence is a wall surrounding the Red Mountain. I really do not know how to show it in the game. I made its color white, while the land connections are yellow and water connections are blue. And the line is much much thicker that the lines used for connections. I hope the players won't be confused.
Or should I simply delete it?
Still, there is one problem with the connections that is breaking one of the main rules of warlight mapmaking
. The "councillor seat" territories are all connected to the "council house" territories, but they are not connected with each other. Still one could conclude from looking at the map that they are interconnected. I don't know what to do with this problem, for there is not enough space to draw separate connections. Right now I have 2 ideas.
1) Write in the map description, that the "counsillor seats" are not interconnected and hope that the players will be satisfied with that.
2) Make the "seats" interconnected.
I would like some advice on this matter. Should they be connected or not? I fear the connection pattern will become too complicated if I make them interconnected. Or not?
(Probably you have guessed that the "seat" system is something like the Small Council system in the "Game of Thrones - Westeros Diplomacy" map made by Dameon, though expanded a bit. The council territories in Westeros map WERE actually interconnected which allowed different councillors to attack each other...)
Actually the issue I have described above is the main one that prevents me from making the map public
. When I press the "publish map" the game sends me dreadful messages about all the torments that it would inflict on me if I make a bad map, so I would like to be sure before making it public. :)
P.S. This is the old forum post of the map - unfortunately, I can't post there anymore, otherwise I would just continue the old thread.https://www.warlight.net/Forum/68102-2-maps-vvardenfell-island-morrowind
P.S.S. Send a PM to me, if you want to take part in the testing game. It is quite hard to find enough people.
Edited 12/15/2015 20:37:47