Currently we have got only one map of Beleriand - by Imperator. I like his maps, but this was one of the earliest - and let's be frank, it's unfinished. There are lots of territory names like "Plains 3", "Swamps 4" etc. The bonus borders are not divided. Plus the general layout is... well, I don't like it. Too many regions are almost completely disconnected from the rest of the map. Look at Eriador (east) - or the northern lands - or look at river Sirion without a single crossing between Tol Sirion (Minas Tirith) and the Gates of Sirion.
Plus there's lots of non-canonical territory! :-<
So I decided to make a plan for a different map. Here it is (alpha).https://svgshare.com/i/ALf.svg
- The intransparent territories in the south won't be playable (see one exception below).
- West Beleriand is a real problem. Probably it should be simply turned into a wilderness (it was a wilderness, there was the Nuath forest, that is not shown on the map).
- A stretch of land exactly to the south of Doriath should be playable - I simply haven't decided on the borders of the active territory. That's why it is intransparent.
- I've got lots of empty space left, so I decided to add some minimaps for important cities - the space can be playable or it can be filled with pictures. On one hand it makes things complicated - on the other hand it is probably the only way to represent Gondolin properly...
- The circles are 30x30, the larger circles (the cities that have their own minimaps) are 50x50, the map itself is 2250x1500.
- I've added some canonical bridges across rivers + some semi-canonical mountain passes (people did cross the mountains after all). The tree circles in Taur-nu-Fuin (Dorthonion) aren't mountain passes - they're only goal is to remind me of the map features (Rivil's Well, mount Foen, Aeluin).
- While I added some bridges to Sirion, I also added other rivers - Aros (southern border of Doriath), Teiglin (southern border of Brethil), Esgalduin (divides Doriath), Mindeb (northwestern border of Doriath).
- The spider is alpha version :) Chances are high it won't survive long.
What do you think? Could this map be playable from the strategic point of view? Are there too many rivers and unpassable borders?