I've made a tiny map to play with some ideas for a bigger map. I'd like to get feedback on the mini version first before building a full-size version. This is an alpha-test (testing out the ideas).
- lots about this map is rough - e.g. no territory names - but that's because I want to focus on the strategic options first, and the flavour, and add the rest in a future version
Link (might not be live yet? Sorry, this is my first time making a Warlight map...)
I've play-tested it a few times, and the basic ideas SEEM to be working (see below) - but please try it and let me know what you think.
Ideas in this map:
- I want to keep the "features" that are currently territories, but add lots of small territories around them, and make each current "feature" the centre-point of the bonus. Most of the current "features" (that are each a single territory) would become a bonus, with 2-5 territories around them
- ...but I also want "meta bonuses": I've indicated that by putting a few bonuses on this map, using the "features".
- all bonuses should be obvious, except:
1. There is one territory in the center that has a (comparitively) massive bonus. I want this to be hard to conquer, and far from other bonuses - but exposed to attack along multiple independent paths
2. the "sea" bonuses are spread out. You need to conquer *ALL* "ships" for one of them, and *ALL* "waves" for the other one
- "sea" vs "land": when on a "wave" you can only move to a "ship" or to other "waves". When on a "ship" you can move to "waves" ... or to the neighbouring land territory. (perhaps "ship" would be better as "port" ?)
- in general, you can travel much further / faster by sea (going wave to wave) than by plodding through territories. BUT: there are no bonuses along the way (unless you conquer the entire ocean, see above)
- I don't know whether to show "roads" on this map, either hand-drawn, or as gaps between territories - or even as special territories. In Warlight terms, roads don't make sense, but it might make the map easier to look at visually?
- I made a mistake with the small bridge on the right, and forgot to make it a territory. However, in playtesting, that seemed to work better than when I added it back in, so I took it out again. This probably means the central "City" territory / bonus isn't vulnerable enough?
- I have no idea how many territories I should split this land-map into. 20? 50? More?