<< Back to Off-topic Forum   Search

Posts 1 - 24 of 24   
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/24/2017 22:40:53

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
The following scenario is hypothetical.

One day a dictator, A, nuked the world, leaving all but 8 people other than himself alive.

Question:

Was Dictator A justified in wiping out almost all humans?

Edited 8/24/2017 22:41:07
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/24/2017 22:44:17

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
Do you want to take Dictator A to some International Court for a trial?
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/24/2017 22:48:57

Belgian Gentleman 
Level 56
why don't you never die huh?
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/24/2017 22:53:24

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^me? Or the dictator?
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/24/2017 22:54:46

Major General Smedley Butler
Level 51
I'm fairly certain Tabby is some sort of spirit, maybe a jinn, he hates Islam so he's probably salty about Islam not being fond of trafficking with daemons like himself.
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/24/2017 22:56:31

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^LOL what? Do you get my point at all?
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/24/2017 23:32:54

Cata Cauda
Level 58
Killing innocent people is not justified, so no.
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/24/2017 23:56:58

Padraig
Level 39
And then he turned the gun on himself...

What you are describing has happened repeatedly.

The only difference is the scale of the atrocity you are asking us to contemplate.

If I have a bad day, and I am tempted to conclude that existence is corrupt, in what way would that justify me doing harm to anyone?

When Joseph & Magda killed all of their children (Helga, Hildegard, Helmut, Holdine, Hedwig, and Heidrun), in what way were they anything other than murderers?
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 00:49:17

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
Great, guys.

Do you know who Dictator A is? The Abrahamic God. The event is called Noah's Flood. Why do so many masochists pathetically justify that entity? Why do some many "moralists" believe that AG was just in wiping out almost all humans?

Edited 8/25/2017 00:52:43
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 01:02:50

Bane 
Level 60
masochists pathetically justify a certain entity around here...
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 01:18:57

Padraig
Level 39
Well I am glad that it wasn't a project proposal.
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 01:24:16

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^It was intended to get people to think.

If a dictator killed a billion he is called a tyrant.
If AG killed almost all humans and casted them into the lake of fire forever He is called a just deity.

I finally got courage to expose AG for what He is, the worst entity that has ever been imagined in human history. Thankfully AG isn't real. Otherwise we should cry.

Edited 8/25/2017 01:25:35
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 01:52:04

Padraig
Level 39
There is a difference between God and a tyrant. Tyrants don't create worlds.

If we accept that we are the creation of God, and that we are mortal, then does not God kill us in some sense in the very act of creating us?

If anything can meaningfully be said of God then it is this, God is not a person in the same way that we are. And if that is true what follows?

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

It is a conundrum.
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 01:55:57

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^There is a difference between ordinary religions and Abrahamic ones. AG is just way too evil and intolerant to be tolerable especially if some harsher interpretations of Abrahamic religions are correct.

Based on AG's behavior in the Bible He is ridiculously easy to offend and may punish the slightest offense with death. That's just the Tanakh and it's tolerable. New Testament is even worse with this crazy faith thing, voluntary poverty and deadly persecutions.

Edited 8/25/2017 01:59:20
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 02:06:59

gilead
Level 43
If God created the Universe with what was in him to create then "evil" or "chaos" is a part of what is in him.

Seeing the destructive power of evil one could surmise it is one of his most powerful creations. Kindness and Love and Fellowship were gifts given to combat this great power.
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 02:08:20

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^Do you have any evidence that AG is real? Do you really want AG to be real so that you can go to hell for some trivial offense?

Edited 8/25/2017 02:08:53
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 02:19:53

Wulfhere
Level 47
The hypothetical is a farce. A lie. Nothing physical is certain and anyone claiming to be able to "rationalize" politics is a charlatan.
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 02:37:38

Жұқтыру
Level 55
Well I am glad that it wasn't a project proposal.

(yeah !)
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 02:39:07

Padraig
Level 39
The first Nobel Truth of the Buddhism:

Life is suffering

Our very instincts seem to give rise to this suffering. All the things which we seek to possess are transitory. And so we cannot become happy.

Now this is not part of Christian doctrine. It is a religious notion, although some of my Zen Buddhist friends deny that they are practicing a religion. Would you call Buddhism an ordinary religion?

Are you comforted by the thought, that life is suffering?

Is it kind to tell someone this?
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 02:53:37

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
Buddhism is not necessarily a theistic religion. Some sects of it are in essence philosophy.

I'm certainly not comforted by this thought. However I can understand where it came from.

We can overcome the human condition. We will do it one day.
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 03:51:41

Padraig
Level 39
I suspect that Buddhists, to a man, would tell you that we can not overcome the human condition, at least not by physically modifying ourselves.

As for myself, i imagine that if we never became ill, or became old, we would still find life problematic. The root of our problems is not our frailty, or any of the defects or attributes that make us human.

What do people crave? For their lives to be meaningful. And to belong, to a group, to a lover, to a circle of friends, to something.

Do you know suicide is the third leading cause of death among children ages 10-14 years (behind accidents and cancer)?

Every year, about 12,000 children ages 5-14 years are admitted to psychiatric hospitals for suicidal behavior.

A five year old attempting suicide. Can you imagine?

That is the age of a kindergartner.

Is it possible to imagine anything more obscene?

There is an impulse to explain things like that away. We say the child was mentally ill. We say they were mistreated. We say they did not understand what they were doing. We comfort our selves with these thoughts.

Now and again there may be truth in these comforting thoughts. But not always. Existence is difficult. And all to often we make the difficulties of existence worse for ourselves and for each other. So much so that a five year old can be so miserable that they do not want to live.

And then, perhaps someone sees this, and tells a story about a God of wrath who is sickened by the human race.

Or someone else tells a story about God becoming a man so that by dying a miserable shameful death we might stop being so wicked to one another that children wished that they were dead.

So should you believe the stories?

Why would I tell you to do that?

Instead my point is that the meaning of the stories might be something different then the face value of the thing.

Edited 8/25/2017 03:56:27
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/25/2017 08:18:35

{Canidae} Kretoma 
Level 57
*dicktator
FIXED
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/26/2017 02:58:56

Padraig
Level 39
The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the political behavior of Western Civilization.

― Robert Anton Wilson

Tabby I thought you might be amused by this quote.
Hypothetical scenario about a dictator: 8/26/2017 03:22:48

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^I doubt this explains the nature of the Western Civilization. In fact Western colonialism was really mild compared to genocidal cultures.

Edited 8/26/2017 03:23:36
Posts 1 - 24 of 24