<< Back to Off-topic Forum   Search

Posts 1 - 19 of 19   
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 16:58:42

Paugers 
Level 41
Forcing your child to finish their food promotes unhealthy eating habits. Instead you should let them eat until they claim they're full and then not let them eat snacks and such after that until a set time. This way they learn to eat enough food to be filled up, without stretching their stomachs and causing them to overeat.

You can't let them get up and play while dinners going on, it's rude and promotes bad manners. If they resist, punishing them in the regard you deem appropriate is a must. You must do this at a young age as well, if you only start teaching them these manners at the age of 4 when they're "old enough to understand" they will be set in their ways and it will be more difficult to teach them.

This includes parents and siblings not getting up from the table too, eating dinner together at a set time every night is a benefit. Have the kids set the table, mother cooks so that when the Dad gets home dinner is ready and you can all discuss the events of your day. This has it's benefits in making your kids feel like they can speak to you, avoiding potential boundaries in dialogue is an important part of parenting.

Why are modern parents such shit? It's so easy to raise good kids.

Discuss.
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 17:37:09

Rikku 
Level 61
I more or less agree with all those points and they are presented well.
"Why are modern parents such shit? It's so easy to raise good kids."
I understand it can be frustrating to see peoples inadequacies and failings (such as parents you see around ect) but it's bullshit to call parenting easy let alone good parenting. Although I can't speak with personal experiance it seems to be the hardest thing the majority of people do. Also ofc it's much easier to raise children poorly which I imagine is why so many are + some parents inability to decide what is the best action in a situation means even if they want to be a good parent they might choose a poor uhh statergy / action plan for it (iffy word choice). Hopefully that is somewhat cohesive.
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 17:44:16

Paugers 
Level 41
Eh, I'd argue it's easier than most people make it out to be once you disregard how long it takes (18 years per kid). Plus the larger the family, the better more often than not. My Mother had 5 of us and once I got old enough I began contributing to helping raise them myself, then my sister as well, my brothers then, so on and so forth.
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 19:22:02

Жұқтыру
Level 55
Forcing your child to finish their food promotes unhealthy eating habits.

Yeah, mum !

You can't let them get up and play while dinners going on

How about everyone eats when they feel like it? in the past it was a must for families to eat together since they ate as soon as there was anything to eat, but now it's just some outdated tradition

it's bullshit to call parenting easy let alone good parenting.
Eh, I'd argue it's easier than most people make it out to be

Epic reading skill.
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 19:22:02

Жұқтыру
Level 55
Forcing your child to finish their food promotes unhealthy eating habits.

Yeah, mum !

You can't let them get up and play while dinners going on

How about everyone eats when they feel like it? in the past it was a must for families to eat together since they ate as soon as there was anything to eat, but now it's just some outdated tradition

it's bullshit to call parenting easy let alone good parenting.
Eh, I'd argue it's easier than most people make it out to be

Epic reading skill.
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 20:10:43

The Cruelest
Level 56
Xapy is a Copy-past clown.
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 20:11:56

Paugers 
Level 41
^ Upvoted
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 20:55:09

BUFFALO
Level 46
Also, make them watch a flat earth documentary once a day.
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 21:49:35

TeamGuns 
Level 59
Why are modern parents such shit? It's so easy to raise good kids.

Do you think your parents raised you well?

Often we see almost everyone as poorly raised arround ourselves, while we think our family was well raised. Well, chances are people think the same of you the other way arround. Always try to have some perspective.

I agree it's not that hard not to make half-decent human beings, but as far as making good/exceptionnal kids, that's probably another story...
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 21:53:15

Belgian Gentleman 
Level 56
I never got this situation. Can't really relate, but praise the fact that I've stayed skinny to this day
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 22:16:21

OxTheAutist 
Level 58
we we we we are a
nuclear family
leave it to beaver
return to the 50s
one mother
she stays home
one father
he works
some kids
strict rules
no other way
to raise a family
- downvoted post by (((Tabby Juggernaut)))
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 22:57:04

strongkillaz
Level 47
Is it because you can't make one and get some?
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/3/2017 23:11:26

[WOLF] The Conservative
Level 56
Looks like someone had a run in with their mommy today...

Edited 8/3/2017 23:11:38
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/4/2017 00:31:57

Rikku 
Level 61
I know I've been a bit of a salty twat recently but geez The conservative really loves to take hot steaming shits in threads.
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/4/2017 00:33:50

Cata Cauda
Level 58
I don't think that it should be forced. A child should be allowed to eat as much as they want (if family can afford it) and eat whenever they want. Looking back at my childhood and what my parents told me about theirs, young people should explore the world and should not be bound to "manners". If a child doesn't want to obey, they will ignore the "manners" anyway. I don't think you can force it. (Unless you beat them senseless)
mother cooks so that when the Dad gets home dinner is ready and you can all discuss the events of your day.
I dont see why exactly the mother should cook and the father work. He can cook too. She can work too. The children can cook too. Ideal is if everyone cooked and everyone worked. However the most important thing is that the family approaches the way everyone is the happiest with. If the family does the old "Mother cooks, dad works, children do nothing" please only do it with everyone's consent.
Also I don't understand why events of the day have to be discussed at dinner. Let's ignore the fact that not all families can do that (nightshift for example) for a moment. Family members should be able to discuss their events at any time with anyone anywhere. You should not be bound to such imaginary boundaries called "manners".
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/4/2017 08:02:38

Castle Bravo
Level 56
According to Ox's postmodern edgy poem, fatherless and divorced households produce the same kind of healthy children that grow up in stable mother and father marriages.

I wonder if he actually believes this lol

Edited 8/4/2017 08:12:20
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/5/2017 21:02:58

Cata Cauda
Level 58
^
As someone who doesnt come from a "stable mother and father marriages", I am with Ox here.
"You're not leaving this table until you finish": 8/6/2017 02:50:45

Paugers 
Level 41
^
As someone who doesn't come from "a stable mother and father marriage" I side against Ox
Posts 1 - 19 of 19