<< Back to Off-topic Forum   Search

Posts 1 - 30 of 33   1  2  Next >>   
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/17/2018 20:57:19

Sephina Nighy
Level 27
So, I had an ASUS laptop, which hasn't been working well for 2 months now. It has serious problems with its hard disk, hence why I've decided to buy a new laptop. I know that I can replace the hard disk in order to repair it, but I want a new laptop also because I need a laptop with a bigger internal memory than my ASUS laptop. (My ASUS laptop had 4GB for its internal memory)

I don't want to spend more than 1250 euro for my new laptop, so keep that in mind.

PS: Is it necessary to buy an anti-virus programme?

Greetings,

Sephina

Edited 8/18/2018 05:25:52
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/17/2018 21:16:00

Hostile 
Level 58
For some laptop, it is possible to access the RAM and upgrade it in the same way as you would with a with a Desktop computer.
You will only need to spend ~20$ to get more RAM.

ASUS also sells RAM upgrades. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/asus-memory

No need to thank me.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/17/2018 22:29:54

Nauzhror 
Level 56
$20 isn't likely to buy a RAM upgrade.

Cheap laptops often don't have actual removable RAM DIMMS either. And if it had 4 GB to begin with, it was cheap.

Assuming it was removable, there's still chances it'd have only 1 DIMM, and that 4 GB would need to be replaced with a larger 8 GB, 12, or 16 GB GB DIMM, The cheapest 8 GB DIMMS are around $50.

If you can post your existing laptops model it'd be possible to provide more info about potentially upgrading its RAM.

Similarly, budget is good to know (which you did mention), but aside from that, what other desires do you have.

Do you intend to game on it, what will its primary use be, will it typically be plugged in, or will you use it frequently unplugged?
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 03:12:01

Hostile 
Level 58
Don't throw up your hard disk unless it starts making weird noises. Why would you need to replace a hard disk ?

Hard Disk can be good for 10+ years. You should find somebody tech savvy to run the diagnostics. If you are sure that the hard disk failed than it may be bc of how you use your computer.

I put faith in the hard disk. It will most likely the last thing to fail. Hard disks are rated in write/read cycles.

The disk diagnostics tools will really tell you if it is done for or not. They will also fix issue of the corrupted data/sections.

Trojans or not using the computer in correct way often lead to disk failures. I had a GPU failure on the old laptop (blue screen with nothing on it) that happened a few times. I suspected a computer virus. It disappeared after re-formatting system. And it worked super fast with no problem for many many months.

Maybe you can troubleshoot for sake of curiosity. It may serve to avoid further problems even if you are set on buying new laptop.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 03:15:16

Hostile 
Level 58
You should also know that adding more RAM will decrease "paging". When it runs out of space, it writes data to disk and back and forth.

RAM may not be necessary depending on the games you play. You will likely be able to run pretty much most of your games at highest settings with good graphic card and fast cpu.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/adding-more-ram-can-help-gain-performance-31318722/
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 04:54:20

Sephina Nighy
Level 27
Don't throw up your hard disk unless it starts making weird noises. Why would you need to replace a hard disk ?

It hasn't made any weird noises. The problem is that even when I clicked on "recover laptop" (all my documents were gone at this point, but I had them stored in my USB-stick), the problem still re-emerged, hence why I decided to just buy a new laptop. But the other reason why I want a new laptop, is because my ASUS laptop couldn't handle the heavy programme that I had (Pinnacle Studio 20).

Hard Disk can be good for 10+ years. You should find somebody tech savvy to run the diagnostics. If you are sure that the hard disk failed than it may be bc of how you use your computer.

What are factors behind a hard disk failing due to personal use of the computer?

Trojans or not using the computer in correct way often lead to disk failures. I had a GPU failure on the old laptop (blue screen with nothing on it) that happened a few times. I suspected a computer virus. It disappeared after re-formatting system. And it worked super fast with no problem for many many months.

I actually did suspect that my laptop was hacked, but I couldn't recognize whether that was the case or not due to my lack of skills in that particular area. With "re-formatting system", do you mean to recover the laptop so that all the documents and programs are faded away?

Maybe you can troubleshoot for sake of curiosity. It may serve to avoid further problems even if you are set on buying new laptop.

I think that my father will try to troubleshoot.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 05:01:58

Sephina Nighy
Level 27
Cheap laptops often don't have actual removable RAM DIMMS either. And if it had 4 GB to begin with, it was cheap.

My ASUS laptop was about 300 or 400 euro if I remember well.

If you can post your existing laptops model it'd be possible to provide more info about potentially upgrading its RAM.

I have an ASUS laptop, model F555L. It has Windows 8 and Core i3 processor.

Similarly, budget is good to know (which you did mention), but aside from that, what other desires do you have.

I just want a laptop that works for the long term, and it needs to be able to work fast when I'm working on heavy programmes. (I don't necessarily need to play games on the laptop)
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 05:02:30

Sephina Nighy
Level 27
I want to choose between one of these two, which one do you advice me to buy?

1: MSI GL62MVR 7REX-1062NL - Gaming Laptop - 15.6 Inch

2: HP Pavilion 15-cx0670nd
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 07:49:40

DanWL 
Level 62
Do you really need the extra portability of a laptop? Laptops cost more than desktops because of making everything smaller (and sometimes less powerful) than a desktop.

Hard drives are a thing of the past. Get a new laptop that has SSD storage. SSD is much faster than HDD.

You’d want to have at least 16GB RAM so that games run smoothly. You also need a good CPU and GPU for the same reason.

Would recommend a Windows 10 laptop as more games are available on that OS.

Assuming you get a Windows 10 laptop, you don’t really need a second antivirus program; Windows Defender has been proven to correctly detect threats. More AV programs running at the same time only slows down the device.

As previously mentioned, keep your old hard drive. You could use it as an external device.

It has serious problems with its hard disk

I’ve made computers that couldn’t boot up boot correctly with assistance in the past. If you describe what the problem with the hard drive is, I may be able to tell you how to fix it. Including relevant pictures would make it easier for me to know what the problem is.

What makes you think that your old laptop was hacked? Has any new software been installed on it recently? If you can make it to the users screen, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and launch Task Manager. Go to the Performace tab. If the CPU usage is high (consistently above 50%), malware is probably slowing down your laptop. If you can log on, open your antivirus program and run a “full system scan” or a “deep scan”, preferably a deep scan. Should also scan for rootkicks as they can be quite nasty.

If your unable to get the loading windows screen, say so. Should take between 5 mins and 6 hours to get the laptop to boot once more if it is still kind of living (excluding time to download and install software as well as getting items that may be required to fix the problem).

I am a tech savvy person if you haven’t guessed. I can describe to you how to fix your old laptop if you want.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 10:03:32

ℳℛᐤƬrαńɋℰ✕
Level 57
When will people learn that Laptops were not build for gaming? Unless you want to keep buying them for 1000+ €/$. As said before you could get so much stable, durable desktop for it?

I have around 5 laptops, none of them later than 2012+ and oldest is 2007/8 all are Lenovo Thinkpad, Dell Latitude series. All have either 4/6/8/16 RAM, SDD if it is compatible and they are all good. None for gaming - as I don´t care for that. Warlight can run on all of them?

How many times people keep buying 400-100 €/$ laptops and keep replacing them for every 2-year when they learn, that there are machines built to last and ones not to? I would not recommend to buy new ones, get used old Latitude or Thinkpad models, but 8 GB ram, make SWAP if you need and get at least 100 GB SSD and you are good to go? And that should not cost you more than 200 for where-ever you live.

And buy a desktop for gaming. Gaming laptops are great way to skim the best prices! Find a tech forum that can help you build your machine. I believe with 1000 € you can make a good machine with a great monitor.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 12:11:07

Nauzhror 
Level 56
He didn't say he wanted a gaming laptop. He said he wanted a laptop.

There is however nothing wrong with "gaming laptops". They're also far, far, cheaper than they used to be.

My laptop will play games better than 99% of this sites users desktops.

If you think laptops aren't adequate for gaming you're stuck in the past. Their cooling is vastly superior to what it used to be, their performance has increased several-fold in the past few years, and their price parity has also been reduced significantly.

If you have to buy a monitor for the gaming desktop it is in fact often more expensive than an equivalent laptop.

I paid $2,300 for my laptop.

i7-7820HK
Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry Brown Switches
32 GB DDR4
512 GB Samsung 960 Pro NVME
2 TB Hybdrid Drive
2 GTX 1080's
120 HZ screen with G-Synch technology
It runs cool due to not relying on mere fans due to the inclusion of vapor chambers and heat pipes.

Desktop comparables:

i7-7700K $340
512 GB 960 Pro $235
GTX 1080 - $470 each
32 GB RAM $330

That's $1845 before the price of the larger storage drive, the monitor, the motherboard, the power supply, the keyboard, or the case.

Edited 8/18/2018 15:11:12
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 12:34:37

Benjamin628 
Level 59
@Nauz how much does it weigh? 50 pounds?
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 15:10:32

Nauzhror 
Level 56
It's about 12 pounds but I really don't care about weight, it's not like that's heavy to carry, and when I'm using it it's on a table or desk not my lap.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 16:12:23

Farah♦ 
Level 60
Why get 2x 1080 (with SLI i assume) instead of just a 1080Ti?
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 16:58:38

ℳℛᐤƬrαńɋℰ✕
Level 57
f@Nauzhror

Yes, you are right. Their cooling is way better, much cheaper than it used to be years ago. Am not that deep into the market to know exact prices, but at least where I live (Europe) every tech-wise person can put together equally powered desktop much cheaper to my knowledge. And to be honest, desktops are way easier to maintain, upgrade and clean. They are meant to last if put together correctly. And I do not think at the end of day a laptop can cool down that much - its better but is it enough, when it comes to high end of use?

I referred to gaming as you brought this into the topic. My core argument is, that for every-day use one does not need 1250 $ laptop. New things are just over-priced. One it is much cheaper and better to learn to know your needs and get machine to meet the requirements rather than squeeze out the last juice from poorly built laptops.

Yes I am stuck in the past, because I only need my I7-3rd gen processor to go through vast amounts of data once and a while and to watch FHD movies. For every day use 8GB ram, low-voltage CPU and mid-priced SSD does the job.

To be honest, I do not want to hijack the thread, but when it comes to laptops there is no way I will get used to chiclet keyboards.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 17:53:38

The Last Kiss
Level 55
"Why get 2x 1080 (with SLI i assume) instead of just a 1080Ti?" 1080 TI didn't exist at the time, and I'm not aware of many laptops that come with that as an option even now, Laptops definitely have downsides, I'm not saying they're hands down superior to desktops or anything like that.

A bleeding edge desktop outperforms a bleeding edge desktop. Desktops are more upgradeable and better cooled. I don't dispute those facts. It's just that the performance gap isn't as large as a lot of people make it out to be. The price difference has shrunk a lot as well. I have nothing against gaming desktops, I just think they're both viable options to game on nowadays.

The specific laptop I bought was also largely purchased for its keyboard, it has a steelseries mechanical keyboard in it, not a chiclet keyboard which further reduced my options as I only know of 2-3 manufacturers that make laptops with mechanical keyboards.

As for the two laptops you asked about Sephina, The HP will be faster for most purposes, it has a 8th gen hexacore processor, the MSI has a 7th gen i7. Both processors are fast, but the one in the HP is significantly faster, but the MSI has a vastly superior videocard. Depending on what you need - a powerful processor, or a powerful videocard, will determine which laptop is better for you.

Edited 8/18/2018 17:59:47
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 21:15:58

Hostile 
Level 58
Rootkits can easily get access to Kernel. There is no use to scan for them at that point. It is better to reset the system to factory settings.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/18/2018 22:31:47

knyte 
Level 58
@squiggles: Buy Nauz's laptop off of him.
- downvoted post by The Furious Logan
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/19/2018 22:09:58

Sephina Nighy
Level 27
I've decided to buy this laptop: https://www.coolblue.nl/product/813079/hp-pavilion-17-ab497nd.html

It's a HP Pavilion laptop with 16 GB RAM, and a processor of Intel Core i7. I also can play games on it, like Fortnite (I hate that game), Overwatch etc.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/19/2018 23:13:11

The Furious Logan
Level 27
ok cool
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/20/2018 16:43:07

Sephina Nighy
Level 27
This is what I get on my laptop when I try to start it: https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/39753212_165107964406225_8068760565696167936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0ac9621278acedf3f7a83d2b1735d96e&oe=5BFFC6E6

I clicked on F10, but it doesn't work anymore. It used to work in order to continue, but now even that doesn't work.

PS: I keep getting that image which I linked above for about 2 months now.

Edited 8/20/2018 16:43:33
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/21/2018 05:14:06

Sephina Nighy
Level 27
If someone could give advice about the problem I mentioned above, that would really be helpful, because I really want to sell my old laptop.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/21/2018 05:37:16

Dutch Desire
Level 59
Buy this one: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/asus-fx503vd-dm103t-gaming-laptop-15-6-inch/9200000086888155/?suggestionType=browse&bltgh=hpQw5zbkRlq-EtFRkrxJ8w.tqGCJF3JZ9qlM-ZeZA5P5A_0.3.ProductImage

8 RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 video card, 2,5 GHz (max. 3,5 GHz) processor, 1128
GB memory , 15.6 inch
1920 x 1080 pixels screen for just 849,-

You really can't go wrong with this one.

Also in my experience, 17,3 inch is too big to take to school/work. If it's just for at home, you should take a normal PC as they are much cheaper or much better for the same price.

Edited 8/21/2018 05:42:42
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/21/2018 07:24:25

DanWL 
Level 62
Inlined image:

The image you linked is your laptop’s BIOS (basic input output system). Press ESC or F10 on the laptop’s keyboard to exit it. After exiting, the laptop should load Windows normally.

All computers have a BIOS. The BIOS is used to view and change boot options (such as changing the boot order), set system language and other options. The BIOS should only displayed when a certain key on the keyboard is pressed after the computer is switched on and before the operating system (e.g. Windows) has loaded.

Your old laptop is perfectly fine; nothing’s wrong with it.

Edit:
The BIOS can only be controlled using the keyboard.
Because you’ve not used that laptop for a long time, the programs on it are about to be out of date; have fun updating them.
If you really want to, you could run an antivirus scan.

Edited 8/21/2018 07:38:25
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/21/2018 11:01:43

Sephina Nighy
Level 27
I am on my new laptop now, it's amazing. I've downloaded Fortnite, xd. And I've watched a 4K YouTube video with ease. The difference is just way too big compared to my other laptop.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/21/2018 11:43:54

Nauzhror 
Level 56
"Your old laptop is perfectly fine; nothing’s wrong with it."

Yes, seeing his BIOS screen clearly tells you there's nothing wrong with his laptop.

Wait, no, it doesn't. At all.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/21/2018 13:00:05

Sephina Nighy
Level 27
Nauzhror, don't forget that DanWL described himself as "I am a tech savvy person if you haven’t guessed. I can describe to you how to fix your old laptop if you want."

lol
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/22/2018 08:40:48

Sephina Nighy
Level 27
So, it would be really helpful if I could get some advice about my old laptop.
What kind of laptop should I buy? (Advice needed): 8/22/2018 12:21:13

DanWL 
Level 62
By "fine", I mean it can boot up.
Posts 1 - 30 of 33   1  2  Next >>