<< Back to Off-topic Forum   Search

Posts 1 - 16 of 16   
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/12/2018 20:59:53

Son of the Pilgrim
Level 27
My experience on Quora was pretty bad. It's a site full of nationalists, and the moderators ban everything that they deem to be "violating" the BNBR (Be Nice, Be Respectful) rules.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 04:08:30

John Titor
Level 56
Appeal,
Appeal with strong words,
Appeal with stronger words.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 04:26:03

knyte 
Level 58
I don't use the site, and it's honestly gotten full of low-effort spam since 2014/15 or so, but it's got its gems (e.g., how Dan Zhang managed through sheer chance to provide an authoritative ranking of CS grad programs, purely due to how heavily Quora got used by international grad students who didn't have much access to better sources than people on the Internet). There's also deedy's old post about the manipulation he found in Indian test scores. Some really great content, tbh.

Also a good place to get a better handle on some people. Jimmy Wales, for example, at one time seemed to message just about anyone who criticized him the site (I've got a few of those). You know the rule of thumb that what a person's got to say is only worth as much as the lowest level detractor they bothered responding to? You find a lot of such fragilistas on old Quora. For a couple years, it was a real beautiful place.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 10:27:24

Wally Balls 
Level 59
I learned more and made more connections on Quora than i did in a decade of higher education. But it has gone downhill as it has grown. When it was small/medium sized it was insane how many ridiculously smart/talented/accomplished people were hooked on the site, who you could easily interact with. Now many have left or they have massive followings and you’ll be interacting with people like OP.

Edited 5/13/2018 10:28:37
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 15:13:17

THE TungstenTrex
Level 48
None of mine have been answered in the past year.
Last year, they were answered.
Correlated? maybe.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 21:24:21

Жұқтыру
Level 55
To put it shortly, not flawless but by a good measure the best site of its genre. Their high tolerance of stupid questions can be seen as a good thing, too.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 21:27:16

OnlyThePie
Level 53
Excellent site. I'm a bit sad with the new avalanche of clickbait shit, but it's still by far the best social media platform
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 21:27:59

Жұқтыру
Level 55
What about Discord?
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 21:45:17

knyte 
Level 58
I learned more and made more connections on Quora than i did in a decade of higher education.

If that's true, you either went to a shit school or really blew the opportunities you had.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 23:02:16

Wally Balls 
Level 59
BNBR is annoying at first and it would suck if the whole internet were that way — but it serves a valuable purpose on Quora. For one: the site is full of women. If people were allowed to be dicks and say crude shit to them, it’s unlikely it would be the way it is. Which is fairly close to the real world in terms of %’s and how people treat each other.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 23:13:41

Wally Balls 
Level 59
If that's true, you either went to a shit school or really blew the opportunities you had.

The third option is you don’t know what you’re talking about because you didn’t live in Quora in the beginning. It was a magical place.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 23:16:21

Wally Balls 
Level 59
Quora’s strategy was to get all Adam and Charlie’s friends using the site and get their friends etc. And that network was like all of Silicon Valley royalty.

It worked exactly as they planned. It has been diluted but it used to feel like sneaking into Harvard or something.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/13/2018 23:29:44

knyte 
Level 58
you didn’t live in Quora in the beginning.

Does early 2011 count as the beginning? Or are we just talking 2010 here?

I've been on plenty of "magical" places on the internet, full of really smart people, that have been advertised as better than college. Freshman year, I thought that could've been true. But now I'm having a really hard time imagining a place that really builds robust knowledge. You can get little bits of cleverness here and there, sure, but not an entire field. Even the stuff coming from people going out of their way to "teach" an entire field tends to be dumbed-down significantly.

Edited 5/13/2018 23:33:52
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/14/2018 01:44:44

Wally Balls 
Level 59
I'm sure everyones experience is different. The knowledge is there. The people are there. Whether you learn all of that shit or network with all of those people is another matter. I was successful at both and it was very rewarding.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/14/2018 06:24:32

knyte 
Level 58
^ :P That's pretty much what I've got to say about a real education, except without the sentence of flexing at the very end.
What's your opinion on Quora?: 5/14/2018 12:22:36

Rikku
Level 61
I prefer ASK Yahoo
Posts 1 - 16 of 16