<< Back to Off-topic Forum   Search

Posts 1 - 30 of 32   1  2  Next >>   
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 18:26:27

Paugers 
Level 41
Probably won't get that many replies but I recently turned 18 and have found a lot of enjoyment in trying new liquors and cigars (though I've only smoked two of those so far) and thought we might all share our experiences with them.

I tried vodka last night, quite enjoyed it actually and ended up taking 5 shots of it though alcohol doesn't phase me easily. It's strong though and I have to admit I respect Russians slugging it down by bottle haha! I got a bottle of Scotch for a Christmas present (Johnny Walker, Black Label) and found it was quite smooth going down though preferred vodka to it.
I haven't tried tequila yet, doesn't appeal to me.
I don't like the taste of wines, they honestly just taste like sour olives to me and beer is also very bad imo though I was told this will change over time.

Anyone else enjoy trying new alcohols?
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 18:40:21

Japanball 
Level 56
Champagne is lit. I had my first champagne 730 days ago.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 18:46:01

Mogagazuboroso kusaremagurobaromi
Level 46
no
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 19:27:51

Paugers 
Level 41
Haven't tried champagne recently, I was like 12 when I had a sip of it and I don't remember really enjoying it.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 20:49:22

DanWL 
Level 62
I like VKs, found out sometime last year on the last day of term when I was 17. Had a couple of bottles while playing CAH.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 20:51:37

Onoma94 
Level 60
Not a big alcohol taster. I mostly like wines (especially white (#racist)) and various drinks so those I gladly try new. Vodka alone doesn't really have a taste and I don't drink it like that (maybe 1 shot once few years). Not really enjoying any beer either, I just drink it to get drunk (which I get very easily).
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 21:11:15

Ranek
Level 55
it's not uncommon that you dont like the taste of (astringent) grape wine and (bitter) beer. If you still like to taste wine and beer you could try a sweet wine or an apple (or plum, or currant or cherry) wine or maybe a brandy or port wine, maybe an oloroso or pedro xeminez sherry. As for beer you could start with an IPA - they have not only a bitter flavour and tend to be very fruity. although they become in general more bitter with increasing alc vol%. if you like rather chocolate and coffee scents then you should try a nice stout.

I dont really like vodka. It's only good for getting drunk. It is obviously not meant to taste good as increasing vodka quality is accompanied with less and less flavour. Scotch and rum are on the other hand very enjoyable drinks. Unfortunately the fan base is growing very fast these days, which is why prices for good bottles are going through the roof. Though they are great for investments and speculations. However I wouldnt recommend a blended whisky and probably not johnny walker - it is rather overpriced and only good with cola (same with jack daniel). If you have the chance you should try a single malt. If you have no idea which one to pick - best go with one of the classic malts (oban 14 years is a good choice), but be careful, everything from islay (and highland park as well) is peated whisky.
At least I like to point out that good alcohol doesnt only tastes good, it also smells good and wont give you a headache at next morning. So enjoy it and dont get wasted.^^
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 21:19:59

Belarusian Gentleman
Level 17
Alcohol is disgusting and drinking it should be societally frowned upon, it's a drug like anything else.

That said, why so eurocentric?

Saké please. Ink is good as well.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 22:50:40

Belgian Gentleman 
Level 56
Alcohol is delightful and drinking it should be socially accepted, it's a solution like anything else.

That said, why so americacentric?

Ink please. Bavaria by Heineken is good as well.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 23:26:00

DanWL 
Level 62
^can't find any ink, will bleach do?
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/30/2017 23:35:21

Belgian Gentleman 
Level 56
Try Bavaria by Heineken. It's equally as bad as bleach
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 00:00:04

Gojirra
Level 56
You probably shouldn't be drinking much at 18. Your brain is still fusing, mate. As an American, I really don't get why you'd be getting a bottle for a gift.

As for me, I'm a beer, wine, gin, and just recently got into whisk(e)y drinker. But, I prefer to drink most of my harder stuff in a cocktail (i.e. manhattan, gin and tonic, tom Collins) or sip on a good Scotch with a small ice cube or just a drop or two of water.

Just please don't ever drink and drive. That shite's extremely dumb.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 01:08:46

Paugers 
Level 41
Of course I wouldn't drink and drive, I'm smarter than that aha.

But the vodka I had was citrus vodka I discovered, explaining the taste so now I'm on the mission to see what unflavored vodka tastes like.
I will try a single malt as well, still learning all the different kinds and it's really been a fun time so far just exploring all the different tastes and smells (I thought I was the only one that did that). I'm trying to find this one whiskey I had tried when I was younger that had one of the best tastes I'd ever experienced but I'm not sure what it was. Tasted like tree bark, but something like an oak tree would probably taste like.

Also, as for the IPA's I really don't enjoy fruity or sweet tastes so I don't know if I'll enjoy it but I will certainly try them. Even when I was younger I tended to avoid unnatural fruit tastes like in candy but maybe that's not at all the same.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 02:06:48

Hot Brick
Level 17
"Of course I wouldn't drink and drive, I'm smarter than that aha."

>implying that drinking and driving is smart
>not to forget that you implied that you're smart

I've got some news for you; you're dumber than Homer Simpson.
ROASTED
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 02:19:41

Paperclip Maximizer
Level 10
^Stop.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 02:43:18

Padraig 
Level 50
^ Thank you.

Paugers a friend of mine got drunk (he was underage) and fell asleep in a common room of his college. A fellow student called the campus police. He was arrested and lost his drivers license because he drank while underage. He was 20 years old, and a few months from his birthday. Point being we have a number of laws which are very harsh in many of the states of the U.S. so do be careful.

There are too many people who don't have the good manners to mind their own business. As to the laws ... we are in love with f-ing with people in this country for the worst of reasons.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 03:25:13

Padraig 
Level 50
Oh make mine a gin and tonic. Cheers!
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 03:54:21

Clint Eastwood
Level 59
I had some orange flavored moonshine once. 90% alcohol. That shit was great. I got tipsy off of just a few sips, and I'm by no means a lightweight.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 15:29:27

Ranek
Level 55
Paugers, dont you live in the USA and if so; isnt legal drinking age 21 over there? - so why do you already enjoy alcohol?^^

You probably shouldn't be drinking much at 18. Your brain is still fusing, mate.

You are absolutely right. I once met a Portuguese who had a wine bar and I asked him when he started to drink. he said with 12. - we started to make funny faces,but he insisted that this wasn't stupid or irresponsible. He only drank with adults and they controlled what he drank. For example: diluted wine or light beer. So he was able to get in touch with alcohol, its taste and impacts on the body under very controlled conditions. which is much better than being allowed to drink everything available with 18 or 21, where you don't even have a clue what will happen. For example which beginner knows that the effect is delayed, so they continue until they are already poisoned. That being said Im glad that germans are allowed to drink light drinks up to wine with 16.

As an American, I really don't get why you'd be getting a bottle for a gift.

better get a bottle with good alcohol than some cheap booze. and better drink with some experienced friends, who like to explore some nice flavours and a mild high instead of the anesthetic effects.

But the vodka I had was citrus vodka I discovered, explaining the taste so now I'm on the mission to see what unflavored vodka tastes like.

alcohol is like fat and sugar a carrier for flavours. Vodka has very few own flavours, which is why you will find very often flavoured vodka. However you seem to be very open for smells and tastes. so you will most likely sooner or later discover that whisky is one of the most enjoyable drinks for you.
A good friend of mine is a real whisky connoisseur. and we meet almost every weekend for one or two very good whiskys, before we go into a club. Most of the time we start with some strong indian pale ales. they have good but not complex flavours and prepare the pallet for stronger alcohol. afterwards we continue with whisky.

If you really want to enjoy your drinks you should follow some easy rules:
1)pretend your main goal is to gather for a nice tasting, not for getting wasted (that happens anyways).
2)start with the less alcoholic drinks in your range for the evening. and save the most alcoholic for the end. alcohol also benumbs the tongue.
3)always use a nosing glass, for every drink. smell and taste goes hand in hand and without the smell you will decrease the experience.
4)take your time. it is a pleasure not the means for the purpose (getting drunk). smell. taste (dont just swallow it down, keep it in your mouth, especially good[expensive]drinks) and then repeat.^^
5)continue to make experiments.

Alcohol is disgusting and drinking it should be societally frowned upon, it's a drug like anything else.

nutcase, like my grandfather always said breakfast is the most important drink of the day...

EDIT:

Tasted like tree bark, but something like an oak tree would probably taste like.

In that case you should look for a whisky that matured in a first fill oak butt or a bourbon whiskey, which have always matured in first fill oak. but pure oak rather creates bitter and herbal notes. maybe a nice bowmore would be a good choice for you. it has always hints of firepit and charcoal and most of the time pleasant honey/vanilla flavours.

Edited 12/31/2017 17:04:39
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 17:02:38

Belgian Gentleman 
Level 56
Im sorry to burst everyone's bubble here but.. I suggest to drink at any age as long as you aren't 12 years old or younger. The myth of alcohol intoxicating and hurting your development is exagerated. I hope you're all aware of a movement in Belgium thats trying to bring the legal age of drinking alcohol from 16 to 14. And for what? Drinking is a social activity! Get off my beer Gruarhlgmbrrrrrr!!
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 17:10:59

Ranek
Level 55
^in ancient rome everyone drank wine, water was most of the time contaminated with bad bacteria and caused diseases. Mankind maintained to prosper ever since and didnt extinct due to alcohol intoxication... =D However, I dont want to say start drinking as soon as possible. but when you start, start carefully and with some guidance.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 17:32:38

TBest 
Level 60
^Related to water being contaminated, as I am sure many knows plenty of ships only carried beer when crossing the ocean etc. Meaning kids and babies etc. drank beer as ...well water.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 19:09:08

Padraig 
Level 50
For chemists alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 12/31/2017 22:53:29

Level 11
@Padaraig. LOL.

But in all seriousness, I plan to avoid alcohol once I'm 18.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 1/2/2018 09:04:27

Leibstandarte (Vengeance)
Level 45
Heroin is better tbh
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 1/2/2018 14:31:22

DesertFox
Level 57
I accidentaly had my first shot of alcohol at the age of 3, mistook the plum spirit with water.
Then my father gave me occasionaly a glass of beer , would say once per month .
From the age of 14 or 15 started to taste beer on my own, and now whenever i have the occasion I drink, but not to get drunk, just for taste.
As being Romanian, I had the chance to taste various tipes of Țuică made by my own family (Țuica is made only from plums, other beverages made from other fruits are called 'Rachiu', made from apple, pear,cherry plums).Once we made Țuică with Mint, and good, that one was gooood. Other drinks i can include are fruit brandy's ( Vișinată, made from sour cheries, Zmeurată, made from raspberry, and so on ). Wines,Brandy, Liqueur, Wisky, Champagne.
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 1/3/2018 00:00:14

psykkoman 
Level 57
When I drank (sober for 5,5 years now), vodka was my favourite spirit. Clean, effective, zero side effects. Liked gin quite a lot, too, including borovička( pine spirit). As I am from Czech republic, I had pleasure to taste several types of absinthe, too :)
The strogest thing I ever tried was 83% homemade slivovitz. I nicknamed that "kerosene", both for the taste and effect :)
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 1/3/2018 00:03:02

Belarusian Gentleman
Level 17
sober for 5,5 years now

Nice!
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 1/5/2018 15:57:24

TeamGuns 
Level 59
The french start drinking early, I remember first trying wine when I was arround ten years old (funny fact, there's no initial age to drink in France, just minimal age to buy alcohol). But the first time I got drunk af was when I was 15, and since arround the middle of high school I started to get drunk quite frequently, an average of twice a week wouldn't be an exageration.

While I won't say those are healthy ways of living, they of course aren't, I'd still think that it's good to know how to drink and to avoid doing dumb things while drunk later. You really don't wanna be that college freshman that gets reminded at every conversation by the stupid things he did in the first party he drank.

Either way, as for red wine and beer, it's very hard to like it at first, those are tastes you get with time. I hated both when I first tried them, I just started to like drinking them quite a few years after trying them for the first time. Rhum, Champagne and Whisky are absolutely delicious, I love them. Vodka I find it harder, I don't really love the taste but as others said, it's incredible to get drunk; the general rule is that cheaper vodkas are mostly terrible to drink, expensive vodkas are fairly easier but have little taste.

If you're starting to drink, you can also mix hard alcohols (like vodka) with soft drinks (with no alcohol or very litle). It goes fairly well with juice and coke. I myself prefer 1/3 hard - 2/3 soft, but some people go for 1/4 - 3/4 or 1/2 - 1/2, depends on how you like it (and sometimes how much of each one is available).

As for cigars, I haven't smoked them for years, but I've tried some cubans that were quite good. The big problem here is that you could become addicted to smoking in general, and that's really a pain in the arse...
Alcohol Discussion Thread: 1/6/2018 12:00:22

Ranek
Level 55
I myself prefer 1/3 hard - 2/3 soft, but some people go for 1/4 - 3/4 or 1/2 - 1/2, depends on how you like it

a 1:2 cocktail is pretty strong. This a good mixture to get drunk quickly. 1:1 is rather hardcore, especially with poor alcohol! I would recommend 1:3 cocktail mixtures or less. If you want to hide the bad taste of your cheap booze in your cocktail, add a lot of citruses juice. limes, lemons and oranges are great to cover up the alcohol taste. -> which also means you need to be careful when you drink cocktails....
Posts 1 - 30 of 32   1  2  Next >>